Tolerance Stack Up made easy
In this fast moving world, design for manufacturing is very important. Every dimension given in design process cannot be precisely machined. So, Tolerance is given to each dimension to give a relaxation in precision machining. The tolerance given at part level should meet the requirements in assembly level for proper fit and function. Therefore, checking the effects of tolerance in parts is important.
What is Tolerance Stack Up?
Tolerance Stack Up is the process of calculating the effects of cumulative variation between given specific dimensions and tolerances.
Simply, it is used in assembly to know how the dimensions and tolerances in parts influence the assembly.
Generally, there are 2 types in Tolerance Stack Up
- Arithmetic Tolerance Stack up (Worst Case Method)
- Statistical Tolerance Stack Up (Root Sum Square Method)
Both these methods take very much time, if we calculate manually.
Tol Analyst is a powerful tool in SolidWorks with which we can make these calculations easily and can see how much the part feature tolerance contributes the assembly tolerance. These features can be edited to acquire the required tolerance in assembly.
- Efficiently reduces prototyping of assembly for checking proper fit and function.
- Significantly reduces the need for doing hand calculations which would be time consuming.
- Manual errors in calculations also eliminated as the process is completely done in SolidWorks itself.
- Reduces the manufacturing cost by confirming the tolerance at design level.
- The position of maximum and minimum tolerance can be viewed directly in SolidWorks TolAnalyst.
- Easy and quick result and the report can be exported to MS- Excel and saved for future reference.