The fifth edition of DesignACE, DesignACE 2013 – South India’s largest engineering design contest for students, successfully drew to a close on the day of the Grand Finale last Saturday, September 21, 2013.
- Students from Sri Shakthi Institute of Engineering & Technology, Coimbatore won the 1st Prize with cash award of Rs.40,000 for their Foldable Car Project.
- Students from Sona College of Technology, Salem won the 2nd prize with cash award of Rs.30,000 for their Multi-purpose Wheel Chair and
- Students from KCG College of Technology, Chennai won the 3rd Prize with cash award of Rs.20,000 for their Regenerative shock Absorber project.
The Grand Finale was presided over by Mr. S. Rajendran, Chief Marketing Officer, Acer India Pvt Ltd. His keynote address resonated with the audience with some of the highlights particularly hitting home that included the reference to design being relegated to “professional priesthood in the past”, the Red Dot Design award and Acer, and also the flexible walker designed by a school student especially with regard to the climbing of stairs.
He also addressed that competition like DesignACE helps students in understanding the industrial expectation from the students community and DesignACE is a platform which actually pulls the institutes according to the Industrial needs and demands.
The members of the distinguished jury were:
Dr. Jim Goodwin, Technology Director, HayssenSandiacre, Nottingham, UK
Mr. Suchit Jain, Vice President, Strategy and Community, Dassault Systèmes SolidWorks
Dr. B. Giriraj, Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore
The event was hosted by Barry-Wehmiller International Resource and SolidWorks was the chief sponsor. SIM Technologies Pvt Ltd. (SIMTEK) professional channel partner for SolidWorks was the associate sponsor.
- DesignACE 2013 contest touched more than 500 colleges and 20,000 students across South India.
- Out of 320 teams that registered, 94 models were submitted for the first round – the virtual round. BWIR’s group of dedicated evaluators selected 45 models and these teams were called for the pre-finals, held in Coimbatore and in Chennai.
- Nine teams were selected for the finals. The Grand Finale witnessed a record participation by the student community this year. With over 350 registrations, the auditorium was packed to capacity for the entire day.
- SolidWorks’ Value Added Reseller (VAR) in Chennai, SIMTEK played a major role in propagating this event and also conducted a contest parallel to the final presentations on the day of the Grand Finale. Titled Model Mania, the contest was a SolidWorks modelling contest that was a timed event (20 minutes) that tested the ability to model a part then make some engineering changes to the model. Prizes were awarded to the top three contestants.
- All the participants that registered received “Certified SolidWorks Associate (CSWA)” coupon worth $99.
- The contest was followed by a workshop, also conducted by SIMTEK on SolidWorks and was titled “SolidWorks Design Validation”.
Model Mania Winners:
- 1. Joshva Xavier – Loyola ICAM College of Engineering & Technology
- 2. Ramachandran – Sri Shakti Institute of Engineering & Technology
- 3. Nareshraj – Thanthai Periyar Government Institute of Technology