CREATE SPRING USING PROFILE TWIST OPTION IN SWEEP COMMAND
The sweep option creates a solid, thin, or surface feature by moving a single profile along a path and guiding with one or more guide curves.
In order to create sweep feature following set of rules should be taken into consideration:
- Sweep option uses a sketch profile it should be closed non-intersecting contour for a solid feature and closed or open for a surface feature.
- Only one path is used in sweep.
- Two or more guide-curves can be used to guide the sweep profile.
- The sketch profile must be drawn on a new plane starting at the end point of the path.
CREATING SPRING USING PROFILE TWIST OPTION IN SWEEP COMMAND
For ordinary spring creation using sweep option requires a profile, which should be drawn on the end point of the helix (path) which was quite a difficult way if you go for different profile other than circular profile.
While using helix curve SOLIDWORKS takes quite a rebuild time, in order to reduce the rebuild time we can use profile twist option in sweep command.
SKETCHING PATH AND PROFILE
Path and profile should be drawn on same plane but using different sketches as shown in the following image.
Both sketch 1 (path) and sketch 2 (profile) in feature manger design tree are on the same plane (front plane)
PARAMETERS TO ASSIGN:
- In sweep property manager select the profile and path.
- In option tab, under profile twist drop down select ‘specify twist value’.
- In twist control drop down select revolutions.
- Enter number of turns in direction box.
ADVANTAGES OVER USING PROFILE TWIST VALUE IN SWEEP OPTION:
- Using this method to create helical spring editing is quite easier by controlling the sketch dimensions.
- Also reduces rebuild time due to less parameters to control the spring model when we compare with helix curve.
- This profile twist option not only limited for spring creation also very useful in creating complex solid geometries.
To know more about SOLIDWORKS 2017 log on to www.simtek.in ring us at +91-8754447021 or mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org Authorized Reseller SIM Technologies pvt ltd which is located at Chennai, Coimbatore, Kolhapur, New Delhi & Bangalore.