To know more about SOLIDWORKS 2017 log on to www.simtek.in ring us at +91-8754447021 or mail us at email@example.com Authorized Reseller SIM Technologies pvt ltd which is located at Chennai, Coimbatore, Kolhapur, New Delhi & Bangalore.
How to create a Sheet Metal Part by Converting a Solid Body Using the Convert to Sheet Metal Command
To convert a solid body to a sheet metal body:
- Create the Solid part like the model shown below.
- Click Convert to Sheet Metal tool from Sheet Metal tab (or) go to Insert Sheet Metal Convert to Sheet Metal.
- Sketch the linear profile which connects the end to end point of solid model to rip the sheet metal body as shown below.
- Under Sheet Metal Parameters select the face which you want to keep as a fixed face in a Sheet Metal part.
- Enter the required parameters like sheet thickness and default bend radius etc.
- Under Bend Edges select the edges of the solid that will form as bends when you unfold or flatten. The lines visible in pink color are Bend Edges.
- The software automatically selects the edges on which rips are applied. These rip edges are listed under the Rib Edges Found. The lines visible in blue color are Rip Edges.
- Now, select the sketch you drawn one by one to create rip across the sheet metal part. The lines visible in Green color are Rip Sketches.
- Under corner defaults set anyone of three types of rips.
- Enter Default gap and Default overlap ratio for all rips.
- Under Custom Bend Allowance, set a Bend Allowance Type and value.
- There are three types of relief cuts available. Select your required relief cut among Rectangular, Tear, or Obround. Specify a Relief Ratio for possible relief types.
- Click OK
- When done, click on the green check mark/OK to accept. This has created 3 new features in your feature Design Tree.
- A Sheet Metal Folder, which contains your sheet metal parameters.
- A Convert Solid Folder, which contains the bends used for this part.
- A Flat Pattern feature that you can unsuppress to view your Flat pattern at any time.
- Click Flatten Sheet Metal toolbar to flatten the part using the bends and rips you specified.